Sunday, June 2, 2019

Relationships: Now and Then :: Marriage Puritans Essays

dealinghips Now and Then Do we still live in the ordinal century? Its truly interesting to look back at the differences and similarities in mens and womens relationships since then. My economise, Sean, and I were brought up very differently he was only brocaded by his mother who provided everything for him food, shelter, and love whereas I had the more traditional family in being raised by both parents. My father was the provider, a construction player who worked long hours five to six days a week, and my mother, a homemaker, tended the home doing the cooking, cleaning, and also caring for us children. Now that Im older and be in possession of my own keep up and children, I find myself using the traditional traits that Ive seen and learned from my parents. Tending to my husbands and childrens every need non only seems to be a normal feeling, but its a natural instinct for me. According to Edward S. Morgan in The Puritan Family Religion and Domestic Relations in Sev enteenth-Century New England, In each relationship God had ordained that one party be superior, the other inferior.Wives were instructed that woman was made ultimately for God but immediately for man. In living in the twenty first century, relationships seem to be better now than they were in the seventeenth century. Men and women today are marrying for love and happiness, and also building their lives together as a team whereas the Puritans married because it was a law of God where the husband was in charge of his wife and being happy didnt exist.Marriage in seventeenth century New England meant that duties were forced upon both husband and wife. It was the husbands tariff to support his wife and family, and the wifes duty to care for her husband and tend to his home. Morgan states, When a woman became wife, she gave up everything to her husband and devoted herself exclusively to managing his household. her duty was to keep at home, educating her children, keeping and improving w hat is got by the industry of the man. Personally, I couldnt see myself passing anything to my husband and after we got married I didnt. man the little I did own continues to be mine, whatever we own now became ours whereas being a Puritan wife meant owning nothing and being owned.

No comments:

Post a Comment